Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Well endowed vs. knowing what to do with it

I attended a "networking" breakfast this morning. I always find it interesting to meet other people and hear about the work they do, the people they serve and their approach to it all. My own form of voyeurism I guess. I am troubled by the number of people who are very credentialed in their area of practice: counseling, nursing, marriage/family, social work but yet have no clue about how to help the broken people they are serving. I listen to these people discuss their own history of trauma or addiction and find it inspiring that they rose above it but yet troubled that they are using only certain approaches to helping. Their credentials are well earned and make them look big....but their techniques are scary. I'm not a high and mighty SWer. I am humbled daily by my work (or former work)- being able to serve. But I worry about those well-endowed with creds that make them feel special vs. knowing what to do when the crisis/issue is bigger than their creds. Food for thought.

On another note- I decided to continue to talk to my young Prophet aka whippersnapper. I wasn't going to, but he kept texting and calling wondering where I was, how I was and when we could talk. So, I called. I am fine that I did. And oh no, he wants to see me again. He wants to meet up somewhere. That won't be happening soon (if at all)....but ya know, when he calls me "sugar" or "gorgeous" in that damn Texan drawl, I start thinking well, maybe we could meet somewhere. Yikes. Anyhoo- he's still cute and he's still fun and extremely entertaining to talk to on the phone!
I leave for Chicago tomorrow. Looking forward to that. I will be seeing my former neighbor and good friend D. We have much to catch up and will lament over the state of the US.
More updates later!
And hey- Sparky, darling, you presence is still felt in my heart and head. Thanks for sparking that fire so long ago. Love, me

1 comment:

asmithson said...

I am always intrigued with your perspective on life. You rock!
See you soon!