Monday, September 22, 2008

Scary thoughts

I was laughing about the fact that I know all the words to Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg's radio play songs. I also know all the words to Ice Cube's "today was a good day". That's odd coming from me since I can also outsing George Michael and Eddie Vedder, meaning, seeing them live, I sing every word they sing..all the right oohhs and ahhhs and everything in between. But the Dre and snoop and Cube....that's scary! It also scares how into blog-surfing I am. Yikes. I am also bothered by how much I like candy corn and those little pumpkins...no shame there. I could write about my fears re: the upcoming election, McCain, Palin etc...but remember not a political blog. So instead I'll share a fun story with you. This is a story about a guy called Mike McCready who plays lead guitar for a band called Pearl Jam.
I attended a show years ago now, in Seattle at a small venue called the Sunset Tavern (my favorite place to see a show). I was there with a good friend who decided to busy herself trying to get in good with the headlining band. One of the guys in the headlining band was a good friend of mine. His name is Rick. During the course of the pre-show activities---sizing up the crowd, ordering drinks, securing good viewing etc.-- I found myself doing these things alone since she was occupied. This nerd band dude who was in the opening band kept talking to me, wanting to buy me drinks, annoying me, basically he wouldn't let it rest. I was completely annoyed because he was invading my show space. So, I said to my friend Rick, hey, nerd guy is annoying tell him to leave me alone. Rick did and the dude didn't. Rick checked in again and I said he is still annoying me, Rick said alright, problem solved come with me. He led me to a table and who was sitting there, none other than Mike McCready, the lead guitarist for my ever-favorite band, PJ. Rick introduced us and explained the situation to Mike. Mike turned to me and said "I will be your body guard Lisa, just stick by me all night". (in sort of a dramatic way) I'm not sure if I moved at this point or could talk. But I gathered myself together and carried on. He invited me to sit down, then said no, let's go get drinks. He's in recovery so I didn't drink either, we both ordered cranberry juice. He asked all about me, what I did (grad student), what I studied and why? What neighoborhood I lived in? etc. Then I asked him and here's how it went:
Lisa: so Mike what do you do?
Mike: Umm, I play guitar
Lisa: Oh really, do you play in a local band?
Mike: Yeah you could say that, hee hee
Lisa: That's cool, there is some great music around here.
Mike: yeah, good scene- we like how the scene has treated us so far.
Lisa: Gosh, well, I hope your band does well with all the music out there
Mike: yeah we do pretty well for ourselves, so Lisa what types of music do you listen to?
Lisa: Oh wow, Pearl Jam is just my most favorite band.
Mike: silence- stares at me, Ummm, Lis, you are a total smart ass..
hee hee
Here's me, joking with Mike from f_cking Pearl Jam. Anyhoo- the night carried on in much of the same way. We hung out, he bought me drinks, he checked in on me while I was rocking out. He assured me that if anyone bothered me I could sit with him and just to let him know if anyone was bothering me.
Well, end of night-post show activities were on. Where would we go next, it was 3 am, should we go anywhere? Mike stopped by back stage where we were and said his goodbyes to Rick and the band. Then to me. A hug, a kiss and a good night. I followed it up by saying "hey, Mike thanks for being my body guard tonight and letting me hang with you". He said "Lisa, I'd guard your body anytime and it was a joy to get to know you", then a wink and he was off. Now I've gotten to know the PJ guys over the course of the years but this is one of my favorite PJ guy moments. It was on my mind, wanted to share it!
Have a good day!

No comments: