Monday, December 15, 2008

Life's loves lost

Darn, I missed seeing Maynard James Keenan at Whole Foods this past week. My mom reminded me that the day he was there was the day that I received my good news about my new job, so sure, I had other things going on and didn't know he'd be there. I found out too late, but he is one of my favorite singers from one of my favorite bands, TOOL, so I'm sad to not have had the chance to stare at him (like he stared at me when I met him in April). I haven't had a PJ run-in for quite some time, so a Maynard run-in would have done the trick!
Currently I'm listening to Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love' (heavy rotation) and am reflecting on a conversation I had last night with my RiS. He's a very good friend and lives too far away. RiS and I met on July 23, 2006, he was standing right next to me at the first of two Pearl Jam shows at the Gorge in George, Washington. The second show, he ended up being 2 seats away from me, so we were able to chat, joke and make bets on the next song during the entire show. Too much fun! He was fun then and is still fun now. We spent some serious quality time in NYC while I was there last year. We discovered "the Place", the coolest hang-out in the west village. Often times, in my mind, I go back to The Place. We were out until 4am, we shut each venue we frequented down. It's up there as one of the best nights for me.
Anyhoo- RiS and I spent many many nights/hours on the phone while I lived in Seattle. Our record length for a phone chat is 4+ hours. We can just chat and chat...usually check-ins at first then onto music, and more music. Then all sorts of other stuff.
Last night was no different, I needed a dose of RiS last night. We both have always been in the same place about life together. Yet in some ways see things differently, but it's a nice combo. He just turned 40, I'll be 35. We are both single and are happy yet feel like we need to hurry up and do something. Yet are both picky and won't settle for dysfunction or anything else. We both agreed it's confusing, at times it's looked down upon to be single for picky reasons vs. being married for settling reasons. We talked at length about all this. It felt good! In the end, I know that I am doing super great and I know he will be too soon. My better future just opened up, I know his is on the way!
Last night's phone chat....started at 9:46pm and ended at 12:23am. Thank God for my excellent friends!

No comments: